Sunday, November 14, 2010

Milestone!



I have, for the first time, managed to get all the holes on my shakuhachi covered with five stubby fingers.  This is quite astonishing because I haven’t done much in the way of practice.  I was able to play the lowest note and even squeak out a harmonic one octave higher.  Operative word:  squeak. 

The shakuhachi is a difficult instrument to play.  The hardest part might well be just getting one open, unfingered note to sound.  Once that is achieved, the rest comes with practice.  There are no shortcuts.  So, my having squeaked out five and a half notes (awful pun - sorry) is even more remarkable considering how lax I have been.  But, I make earnest effort when I do pick up my flute.  Perhaps the Universe was listening.

The Universe may have further rewarded my efforts with the gentle visit of a tiny vireo to the slate water fountain on my balcony.   The fountain is just a few feet from the desk where I paint and I had paused for a moment, brush in hand.  The bird's presence took my breath away – quite literally, because I was concerned I might frighten it if I moved or made a sound.  I watched the engaging little fellow sample a few sips of water before it again took flight.    I hope it will remember this place and return.  There had been no new visitors for months besides two itinerant pigeons,  Pook and Pawky.  Perhaps the shorter days of Autumn will entice more avian models to frequent this brush painter’s studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment